Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I like to move it move it

Anyone who knows us well knows that we live with a 3-foot-tall marathon runner. She has a little problem with her training in our 900 square foot downtown condo. A friend of ours just moved into a house with a nice fenced backyard and after the first visit to her place (in which Leah happily ran around the yard with little or no supervision from me), we decided that it was time to make something happen. 8 days later we moved. Let me repeat that, EIGHT DAYS LATER WE MOVED. Here's how it went down:

Day 1 (Friday) - List condo for rent on Craigslist. Second person to see it wants to rent it and will put down three months rent in advance. Wants to move in immediatly.
Day 2 (Saturday) - I throw the kids in the back of the car with 23847273 bags of sour patch kids and 2372347 DVD's and tell them to shut it while my Mom and I work through a 2-inch stack of Craigslist postings for rental houses. My Mom is in charge of making notes as we drive around and so at the end of the day I find various helpful observations written on each ad such as "Crapper," "Major crapper," "No good," "Nasty," and "SICK!!!" Luckily we do find the perfect house. The landlord wants someone who will move in immediately.
Day 3 (Sunday) - Paul gets back into town from being at Hoopfest. Upon arrival I tell him we are moving in six days and introduce him to his new house. Such a good sport, he was very excited. Leases signed, deposits given/received. Moving day the following Saturday.
Day 4 (Monday) - Panic and packing. I did the panicking and my Mom did the packing.
Day 5 (Tuesday) - More panicking and packing (same distribution of responsibilities). Show up to work 15 minutes late to a divisional meeting and 10 minutes later receive a major award that comes with a bonus!! 15 minutes after the meeting I happily spend said bonus on piano movers and regular movers. Significant decrease in panicking. Best decision ever.
Days 6-8 (Wednesday-Friday) - Mad, insane, intense packing. Move some heirloom china ourselves before official move.
Day 9 (Saturday) - The movers come and the deed is done. You would think that with 4 people living in 900 square feet there would not be much room for stuff but we had an OBSCENE amount of stuff. I was so disgusted with myself by the time the moving truck was loaded I was hoping it would crash and I would never see any of that crap again. Alas, it arrived safely.

I still can't believe we did it but now I am so happy it all worked out. Our new house has a two car garage and a huge, flat, fenced yard. A backyard is the best babysitter ever! We even got a climbing/slide set and some outdoor toys so the kids are livin it up. We are all loving it here!

10 comments:

Cindi B. said...

Yeah for the Weller's and a fenced backyard!!! So happy for you.

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

that is insane!!!!!! I am so happy for you and I have been seriously waiting for a post like this. I can't believe you guys have been living in that small apt for this long!!! I am jealous of the space you now have and especially the backyard!!! Brin would go NUTS!!! Does this mean you are here for good or is this a temp place to look to buy a house???

Black Family said...

That is such great news....but you are crazy....how did you do all that in just a couple days! WOW! So happy for you guys just wish that move was here :(

onehm said...

That sounds dreamy. I swear our move took MONTHS. It was awful. One ridiculously insane week sounds just right...

Beth and Wes said...

CRAZY!! When you are a little more settled I want to see some pictures!!

Margaret said...

SOOOO jealous of your fenced in backyard. Carly and I would love that especially with new baby on the way.

Brenna said...

It sounds like all of the stress was worth it! That sounds amazing!!!!

Terry Family said...

We are ready for your house warming party:) Eli missed Leah yesterday at church!!!

EmF said...

Hurray for a bigger house, garage & yard. We could not survive without them either!

Stacey Weller said...

Happy for you guys. You deserve it!