Friday, April 4, 2008

The Band's Visit

Last night we saw a movie called "The Band's Visit." Here is the synopsis from the movie's web site:

Once, not long ago, a small Egyptian Police band arrived in Israel.

They came to play at an initiation ceremony but,
due to bureaucracy, bad luck, or for whatever reason,
they were left stranded at the airport.

They tried to manage on their own, only to find themselves
in a desolate, almost forgotten, small Israeli town,
somewhere in the heart of the desert.

A lost band in a lost town.

Not many people remember this.
It wasn’t that important.

I really liked this movie. I will tell you right off, it is slow-moving as H*LL and barely anything happens, but I thought the characters were just so interesting that I didn't mind waiting to learn more about them or hear what they said next. In fact, when I pulled up the movie web site, I was pretty happy to see them again! Another thing I like was that there was no Hollywood timing - it's full of real-life pauses, awkward situations, and uncomfortable silences. I loved the two main characters, the band conductor and the cafe owner (pictured). Lastly, I liked its quirky, light-hearted take on cross-cultural relations that can obviously be a pretty volatile topic. Recommended for patient, character-loving filmgoers who aren't in a hurry.

2 comments:

sonya d said...

Done and done. This is on my list of movies that I want to see, so thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

The movie looks interesting but I doubt I'll see it because I'm always in a hurry. It probably won't even be showing in this hick town!