Friday, May 6, 2011

A Scout Is...

Paul is the Scoutmaster for the Boy Scout troop at Church and recently it came to my attention that he would be receiving an award from the District something-or-other (I'm not great on Scout organization). I thought I would surprise Paul by spiffing up his Scout uniform for the occasion. First item of business was to go to the Scout store in Seattle to replace a patch. Let me pause to express that I cannot say enough positive things about the Boy Scouts organization and program. I think it is an amazing program and Andrew will most certainly be an Eagle Scout. Having said that, I hope never again to have to venture in the alternate universe that is the Scout store. (I believe the feeling is mutual).

So many more things happen on my road to a nice looking Scout shirt for Paul but I will spare you the details. Suffice it to say it involved three trips to two different dry cleaners, four lost (and later found by dry cleaner) patches, and two trips to the aforementioned dark corner of the fourth dimension (Scout store).

In the end Paul's uniform ended up looking great and he received his award. He is a fantastic Scoutmaster who genuinely likes all the boys he works with and goes out of his way to make Scouts an enjoyable experience for them. He does a great job with minimal support from me (mostly I just complain about how often he is gone which is a lot). I'm glad he was recognized for all of his efforts, because he deserves it!!

1 comment:

EmF said...

Go Paul and go scouting!!
FYI, the scout store is online too. I opted for that route when I was buying all my sons stuff.