Sunday, April 6, 2008

That's correct.

So yesterday while Paul went to the Priesthood session of Conference, Natalie and I decided to have our own little adventure in Seattle. First we went to the Seven Gables Theater in the U District - one of the coolest theaters in Seattle. It's an old, cozy theater with chandeliers and velvet couches in the lobby. We saw "La Misma Luna". People, it was fantastic!! The child actor in it was so good he makes Abigail Breslin look like an annoying brat. We absolutely LOVED it!! I really can't say enough about this movie. Go see it immediately, you will not be sorry!!

After the movie, we went on assignment from Sonya to Trophy Cupcakes in Wallingford. Although they were out of lemon cupcakes (the "Saturday special") they still had lots of other great choices. I got one of each: vanilla with vanilla frosting, vanilla with chocolate frosting, triple chocolate, and carrot cake (for Paul). They were DELICIOUS!! I'm so over Cupcake Royale! These cupcakes were great - moist, a tiny bit dense, plenty of frosting, and a delicious homemade taste! I think I might put Trophy #2 behind Billy's. Natalie and I came up with a theory on why they are so good. The staff at Trophy was so grumpy! It's almost like they are a little pissed you are there. I noticed a similar attitude at Magnolia which is also one of the greats. However, at Cupcake Royale they are pretty nice and at New York Cupcake (an abomination to cupcakes everywhere) they are super friendly. So I guess if you decide to open a bakery, be sure to hire the grumpiest employees you can find. And next time you are in Seattle, find your way to Trophy for a delicious treat.

2 comments:

sonya d said...

So many comments...
1) I was against seeing this movie, based solely on the line from the trailer "the bond between mother and son that can never be broken." Since I saw this trailer 800 times at the Lincoln Plaza theater, I wanted to stick a fork in my ear every time I heard it. But since you recommend it, I guess I'll go. (Have I been to the Seven Gables Theater?)
2) thanks for fulfilling your cupcake assignment so quickly.
3) I have to agree... I only had Cupcake Royale one time, but wasn't really that impressed. I don't know if I told you at the time, but if I didn't, it's because I didn't want to hurt your feelings that you have one cupcakery in Seattle and it sucks. Now I know you have another, better, choice and I look forward to sampling myself next time I visit.
4) Of course, you know, the second I read about the attitude of the staff, I immediately thought of Magnolia! They are the worst! But, the hole in your theory is that Billy's staff are quite pleasant.
5) I am happy to see that you blog about the important things in life! Excellent post!! (especially the title)

Our Biggs Family said...

Hey Paul,
I found a link to your blog on my sister's blog. It was fun to see pics. My folks had told me you got married. Congratulations! It was fun to see what you are up to and "meet" your wife! We have a blog too if you want to see what's new with our family. www.joelandjenbiggs.blogspot.com

Jen