Friday, July 2, 2010

Andrew Fairbanks Weller


On June 2nd at 11:20 am we welcomed the fourth member of our family into the world! Andrew Fairbanks Weller weighed 8 lbs. 15 oz. and was 22 1/4 inches long. I call that nine pounds. I also call that big! However, this delivery was SOOOO much better than my first.

I had been trying everything to get this kid to come out. Finally we scheduled an induction for June 2. I guess that convinced him because about 4 am that day I started having contractions and then my water broke! Unlike with Leah, I took my time getting ready to go to the hospital, even stalling a bit eating breakfast. This time I knew what was about to happen and I was dreading it!! Finally my contractions were 5 minutes apart and Paul put his foot down so off we went to the hospital.

They started my IV on the FIFTH attempt (two different nurses) - this was the second most painful event of the day - horrible. After all of that got settled then the anesthesiologist came in to do my epidural. Around 9 am we realized we had forgotten the camera so I sent Paul home to get it. When we had Leah we got to the hospital early morning too and she was born at 10:45 pm so I figured we had plenty of time. Paul got back around 10 am and that was when I was really starting to complain about the pain. At the same time, my epidural had me numb way up in my chest (not good). So basically they couldn't do anything for me and for the second time, my epidural didn't work correctly.

About 11 am I said I wanted to push and so the nurse told me to try a push and we'll see what happens. I did that and she said, "Well, he's got a lot of hair! Stop pushing, I need to call the doctor!" The doctor arrived and I did about 15 minutes of hard pushing. This was the worst pain I have ever experienced, including Leah's birth. But then he was born at 11:20 am! I couldn't believe how fast!!

Andrew came out looking good, just like Leah. Lots of dark hair and no smushed face or conehead. He was so cute and sweet. Up until that moment we weren't sure what we were going to name him so I asked Paul and he said, "Andrew." I absolutely love his name and have gotten a lot of comments about it. Fairbanks is Paul's mother's maiden name and the name of his great-grandfather who was a famous artist.

Paul was really really sick the day Andrew was born and had to go home shortly after his birth. That first night it was just Andrew and me alone in the hospital room. We can joke about it now but it was a tough night taking care of a newborn after just giving birth. I had to call the nurse to hold him just so I could try to get up and go to the bathroom. But there were definitely moments that night when I was so glad it was just the two of us. I knew as soon as we got home I would have to share him with Paul and we would be engulfed in the chaos of everyday life including a high energy (and high volume) toddler. So I cherished those quiet moments alone with him and didn't really put him down all night. Early the next morning I was tired of the awkward hospital bed, the hard bassinet and the pathetic excuse for a hospital gown, so I called Paul to take me home.

Now we are settling into our new life as a family of four. Andrew has been an amazing baby, sleeping like a champ from day one! He eats well and rarely cries. I couldn't have asked for a better baby. But I will be honest, it is really really really hard taking care of two kids so young and close together. I definitely have times where I don't think I can do it. Thank goodness I have the help of my mom and Paul but it is still a huge challenge so I give credit to those moms who do it on their own all day. But how could I want anything else? I have a smart little firecracker of a daughter and sweet little angel baby, not to mention an incredible husband who practically begs me to go do something for myself while he watches one or both of the kids. I am one lucky girl!!

4 comments:

Jen and Joel said...

He is so precious. I hope that we can make it to Seattle sometime this summer and visit you all.

Leslie said...

He is gorgeous! Congratulations. :)

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Gorgeous boy! I love all his hair! We got your baby annoucement too the other day and we LOOOVED it. My parents just died when they saw him. And yes, his name is perfect!

sonya d said...

Adorable!! Congrats Estee & P.Dub.